The Equilateral Triangle
An equilateral triangle is a three sided polygon, basically! It's construction is very simple. There
are two ways you can construct it: 1. Inscribing it in a circle. 2. Constructing it knowing only one side. Both
types will be covered.
This first method is inscribing. Given circle O:
- Select any point on the circle. Call it A.
- Draw a circle at point A with radius OA. Where it intersects the original circle, call it B.
- Draw a circle at B with radius OB. Call the point it intersects the original circle, C.
- Draw a circle at C with radius CA. Where it intersects the original circle, call it D.
- ACD is an equilateral triangle.
This is the method of constructing a triangle knowing only one side of it. Given side AB:
- Draw two circles, one at A and one at B. Both should have a radius of AB.
- Circles A and B intersect at point C. ABC is an equilateral triangle.
© 2003 Robin Hu